April is Recovery Preparedness Month, and IEMA has released a helpful guide on how residents can be prepared to quickly and efficiently recover from disasters.
Here IEMA’s five tips:
- Get Organized. Secure and organize financial and critical personal, household, and medical information. Having these items in a safe place can expedite insurance claims and other emergency expenses.
- Savings. Saving is the best financial defense against disasters. A little bit at a time can go a long way. A rainy day fund can help you invest in your family’s safety.
- Insurance. Obtain property (homeowners or renters), health, and life insurance if you do not have them.
- Inventory. Make an inventory of your possessions using photographs and/or videos of your belongings.
- Communication. Your family may not be together when a disaster strikes. Develop a Family Communication Plan. This will outline how you will contact one another when a disaster strikes.